I’m not sure about you but I am terrible at finishing up items that I have bought in my pantry. Half opened this and thats scatter my groaning shelves (since I have to put everything overhead so that bubs doesn’t get to them!) In keeping with Chinese New Year traditions, I tried to do a little spring cleaning of my pantry (and fridge) A half opened box of Weetabix, almonds, sesame seeds and a bottle of honey in the pantry. A half opened box of mascarpone cheese and butter. It sounded like a possible dessert combination. I also had some lovely plums from the market which were a lovely crimson. Perfect! But what to make?
For dinner today, I was slow cooking some pork – about the same temperature to roast almonds in! Great! So the almonds pop into the oven along with the pork, while I rack my brains as to what to make. I remembered my cousin making some rather yummy cornflake clusters previously for CNY with the buttery honey taste making a lasting impression on me. So I figured a plum tart kind of thing should be good, right?
So it turned out better than good. The hubs polished off more than half of it. The bubs told me to keep the left overs so that he could have it tomorrow. My leftovers are finished and I’m emboldened to try something else the next time. But first, I have to bring down those items to remind me that I actually have them…
75g whole almonds
30g sesame seed
0.75 cup honey
100g mascarpone cheese
2 ripe plums
- Roast almonds whole at 150 degrees celsius for 20 minutes and leave to cool
- Melt honey and butter in a pan on low heat.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Chop almonds and Weetabix up coarsely with food processor.
- Add almonds, Weetabix and sesame seeds to the butter and honey and mix well.
- Press mixture into a lined baking pan and bake for 8 minutes.
- Slice up plum into even slices.
- Invert tart base into serving plate and leave to cool.
- Coat with mascarpone cheese and place plum slices on the top.
- As with all things with lots of honey in them, watch the tart base like a hawk! As you can see, I had a bit of singeing just because I was trying to be wonder woman and got distracted.
- You can use clotted cream or whipped cream instead of mascarpone cheese.
- You can use strawberries, peaches, nectarines or even blue berries instead of plums.